Many employers in the USA underestimate the risks involved in human resources management. This sector is responsible for a high percentage of lawsuits in the United States. The reason for such suits generally involves a violation of the numerous anti-discrimination laws.
In order to adequately protect yourself against lawsuits or inconvenient official investigative proceedings, it is important to possess clear and complete documentation. This means:
- Employment contracts
- Contracts for independent contractors
- Supplemental agreements for expatriate employees, especially regarding tax and social security issues
- Written company policies
- Handbooks (employment manuals or employee handbooks)
- Non-compete, confidentiality and non-solicitation agreements
- Employee benefit plans, including 401(k) and medical plans
Should litigation, arbitration or administrative proceedings occur, our attorneys will provide you with comprehensive advice and work out an appropriate strategy with you. The same applies for all cases in which an employee must be terminated.